Monday, February 3, 2014

Monday Musings: Exploring new genres



It's been a pretty quiet week, all things considered. I've been enjoying my foray into the yWriter software for putting together my new story Where Angels Dare to Tread. It's in a whole new world, which is interesting for me to play with. I mean, I've written contemporary and paranormal, but everything has happened on good ol' planet Earth! Now my characters are all in a strange world where things work a little differently.

Now, not only have I been exploring in my writing, but also in my reading! I love many genres, but I tend toward those that include some elements of romance. This last week, I veered away from my usual genres (romance, erotica, paranormal, contemporary), to a different book. And I loved it! A Soldier's Duty by Jean Johnson is a military science fiction novel, and the lead character Ia is completely engaging! The details are amazing, and Jean Johnson's skills at world-building are still some of the best I've seen. I was so enthralled with this book that it traveled everywhere with me so that if I came to a spare moment, I could find out what happened next!

So that's about it for my week. I'll be working on more writing this week, in Angels as well as Lady of the Pack, which I will be moving over to yWriter in order to be better organized. Also, I'm revising Her Master's Gift a bit, and I'm very excited to revisit these awesome characters.

Hope you guys are having a great Monday! Have any of you explored new genres, in reading, writing, or even movies? I'd love to hear about it!

No comments: