Wednesday, November 13, 2013

A (rather large) obsession with manlove

I love manlove in my fiction.

There. I said it. I'm sort of addicted to it. I have to have some of it at least every few days, or else. If it includes BDSM I'm even happier! I mean, what's better than a bunch of kinky men getting it on?

There is something very elemental in stories that have two men (or more!) involved, getting to know each other, and falling in love. And the sex is really awesome too. All that masculinity coming together is just delicious. I also like that there's more of a rough, push-pull aspect than what I see in traditional M/F fiction.

So, where did my obsession begin?

I became interested in fanfiction when I was younger, and my pairings of choice tended to be two men. Yaoi (for the sexy stuff), shonen-ai (for the romance), slash (for the non-anime), it was all men, all the time, and I was hooked right away. I liked some het fanfiction, but my heart was always with the boys.

Then I got older, and e-books came around. E-books that were longer, plottier, and sometimes more adventurous than the fanfiction I could find. Plus, then I got to know new characters, in interesting situations, which kept me involved in the story.

With my fanfiction writing, I wrote M/M, or M/M/F, exclusively. I find it kind of interesting that in my original writing, I've been led by characters in the direction of F/F, and F/F/M. It's a turnaround, but it's definitely been interesting! I have lots of fun with the women in my head. Wait...that sounded wrong... Anyway, I'm determined to get some manlove in my original stories, and that some kinky, hunky characters will make themselves known to me one of these fine days.

What about you guys? Is gay fiction a genre you enjoy? If so, who or what first hooked you in?

No comments: