Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgivukkah! - Stuffing, and other adventures.

Well, for the first time since 1888, these two holidays (which do seem to revolve around fatty/oily foods) have coincided. And it'll be roughly 78,000 years (according to the people hosting the Macy's parade) until it happens again! Wow! That is impressive.

Today I've made stuffing from scratch for the first time. I might have had some help from my hubby and my fantastic MIL. Yes, I have been blessed with an awesome MIL. We will also be having creamed onions, which I've never heard of before, using pearl onions. No doubt I will enjoy this (as I'm a fan of onions). Still, getting my hands all messy, breaking up bread, the enticing scents of sage and thyme...it was a lot of fun!

These two holidays are pretty special to me. Chanukah is all about miracles, being able to keep going long beyond what you envisioned possible. Thanksgiving is about being thankful for all the good things in your life.

So, today I'm thankful for food with lots of butter and herbs and yummy goodness! And for having food at all this year. There have been years in my life where food on the table was in question. And other years where our food went way beyond what we thought it would. Both have helped me to have an appreciation for those times when food is plentiful.

I'm also thankful for a muse who keeps me inspired with awesome story ideas, a life full of love and friendship, and a toy bag full of fun things to play with after dark!

And, of course, getting annoying music stuck in my husband's head. It's a special form of torture. Oops?

I wish all of you a very happy Thanksgiving, and a wonderful Chanukah if you celebrate it!

No comments: