Thursday, January 16, 2014

Thursday Thirteen: My Top 13 Favorite TV Shows

Thursday Thirteen is a weekly meme with a simple theme: each Thursday you blog a list of 13 things. What kind of things? Any kind! Just come up with a list theme and run with it!

I love television. The shows, the stories, the characters. I get very emotionally attached to the characters, so if anyone dies I am a little devastated. With that said, here's the list of my favorites.

1. Doctor Who - I have watched from 2005 until now, and fell for the 9th Doctor right away. It's a fantastic show, and the top of my list. The rest is really in no particular order, but this one had to go at the top!

2. Firefly - Only 14 episodes (and a movie, but we're talking TV shows), 1 season, and a huge cult following. Firefly is a space western with tons of heart and even more sarcasm! Plus, Nathan Fillion. Need I say more?

3. The Walking Dead - The ultimate in zombie shows, TWD isn't one I liked...at first. My husband got me involved in it, and The Talking Dead made me curious about the show. One week and two seasons on Netflix later, and I was well and truly a TWD fan, just in time for the third season to start! Now I'm waiting for the fourth season mid-season premiere, and my patience wears thin.

4. Bones - I'm a bit of a geek. More than a bit. So all the science aspects of this show just really float my boat. Plus, I love the combination of emotional alpha male and intellectual alpha female. I also might have a crush on Angie.

5. Power Rangers - Okay, okay, I know. Kids show. But I grew up watching it, and Power Rangers was my first real exposure to romance with non-cartoon characters. I still like most incarnations of the show, and yes, I watch it on Netflix!

6. Sailor Moon - Another show I grew up watching, it's worth watching over and over and over again. The subbed, not the dubbed, because really, cousins? I'm super excited for the reboot of the anime that premieres this July!

7. Profiler - I don't know if anyone else remembers this show, but I freaking loved it. It was on Court TV when I tuned in, and it enthralled and spooked the hell out of me. There's something about spooky that I still really like.

8. Scandal - This show is genius! Olivia is one of my favorite characters, I am a little in psycho-love with Huck, and the plot twists never stop coming.

9. American Dad - Another show my husband got me to like. I never, ever enjoyed this show before. I also like Family Guy, and even The Cleveland Show, but American Dad is my favorite. I really like Roger as a character, and his snarky humor.

10. Charmed - A show all about witches. When this first came out, there wasn't anything else like it on TV. I was instantly addicted, and this is one of the shows that I watched with my Mama a lot, so it reminds me of her whenever I tune in.

11. Queer as Folk (US) - I started watching this when I was 16 and we actually had Showtime for a few months. It wasn't my first introduction to LGBT, by any means, but I enjoyed the characters, and that there was a TV show that catered to people kinda sorta like me (pansexual).

12. How It's Made - Again, I love to see how things work. This show is practically hypnotizing for me, and I will watch for 3 hours before realizing how much time has passed.

13. Criminal Minds - Another mystery show, heavy on the psychology and investigation into what makes humans tick. A majority of the episodes fascinate me, and I really love the characters. I also completely 'ship Reid/Morgan.

There you have it! My favorite TV shows for all the world to see. What about you guys? What shows had stories, characters, or settings that drew you in?

18 comments:

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Love Scrubs and M*A*S*H bunches.

Now, am into Survivor, Amazing Race, Downton Abbey and The Good Wife.

Unknown said...

Hubby has been trying to get me into Scrubs! I'm still deciding about that one, LOL, but I do like some of it!

Downton Abbey is on my list of "Need to Watch" shows, as I haven't seen it yet. It's good, I take it?

Amy Denim said...

Dena,
I'm a Bones fanatic. Sciencey stuff plus some romance? Awesome!
I also love Castle, Arrow, Once Upon a Time, and the new Almost Human.
Yes, I too am a geeky, nerdy, writer girl.
:)

Unknown said...

@Amy Denim - Hehe, glad to know I'm not alone in my geeky, nerdy, writerly-ness. ;) Castle is awesome! I like it quite a bit, but I lost track of it until recently. I've not seen the new AH, so I'll have to check that out.

Unknown said...

Totally on board with Scandal & Charmed. Today's favorites include Arrow,Sons of Anarchy, And The Blacklist. - Nettie

Unknown said...

@Nettie Celie - I've not seen Arrow, SoA, nor Blacklist, but I've heard a lot about them. I guess I have more to add to my Netflix/Hulu viewing list! Thanks for visiting!

Anonymous said...

1) <3
2) Need you say more? Yes!! Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
3) Almost here! Soon it shall be back
4-7-8-9-10-12-13) No comment due to I haven't watched these ^^;;;
5) Agreed with you on all those points.
6) <3 <3 <3 JULY CANNOT COME SOON ENOUGH!!!
11) I love this show for so many reasons & it is one of the few times that the US version is BETTER then the original UK
As for me, I have love for Supernatural! Immediately started watching it to see how they would handle the concept of "traveling across the US when in reality it is just a small area of Vancouver & the surrounding areas" but have been drawn in since with the storytelling and the show's sense of humor.
My T13

Unknown said...

@cookiebooklover - *grins* The betrayal that takes place, of course, on This Land! July can't come soon enough, for sure! And it'll be a happy birthday present to me!

And I know what you mean about QAF. I usually love the UK version of shows, especially when one precedes the other, but QAF-US was really special. Plus, they had fantastic actors!

As for Supernatural, I haven't watched more than a few episodes from season 1, so...I suppose I'll have to check that out too. Yay Netflix!

Nicola O. said...

Great list, and nice variety!

Unknown said...

@Nicola O. - Thanks! I do try to watch about a variety of things. Shows like Bones and Criminal Minds make me feel like I learned something, while Power Rangers and Charmed are pure guilty pleasures.

Anonymous said...

Great list. I love Scandal. My youngest son has become obsessed with The Walking Dead, but I can't stomach it. LOL. Happy Thursday.

Unknown said...

@Stephanie Sullivan - Glad to find another gladiator! And yeah, TWD can be pretty gross...I don't recommend eating whilst watching. I just love the characters, and seeing where the story goes. Happy Thursday to you too!

Unknown said...

You would get on very well with my wife, most of those shows would be on her top 13 list too!

At the moment I can't get enough of Banshee! It's HOTTTTTTTT

Unknown said...

@Bree - Thanks for the comment! I'm sure I would. *waves to your wifey* Glad she'd approve! Hm...Banshee...I haven't heard of it. Is it on Netflix or online anywhere else?

Dakota Trace said...

I see several of my favorites on here. Especially the Reid/Morgan thing *wipes drool from chin*

I also like to watch How It's Made along with several other Discovery Channel shows (Dirty Jobs and Deadliest Catch...but that has to do with Mike Rowe. Just love his voice. I swear he could make reading a recipe interesting!)

Dakota

Heather said...

The only two we have in common are Charmed and Criminal Minds. I don't have cable, so those I currently watch are primarily on CBS: The Mentalist, NCIS, NCIS:LA, Person of Interest, CSI, Elementary, and The Big Bang Theory, and Castle on ABC. I also sometimes watch reruns of MASH or Gilligan's Island on MeTV -- when regular shows aren't on. My T13

Shelley Munro said...

You have a couple I haven't heard of, but that's not surprising since I'm down in New Zealand. I love Bones, Queer as Folk, Castle and I really enjoy the English mysteries we get here. The latest on that has just started is Ripper Street. Very cool!

Unknown said...

@Dakota - Ah, so I'm not the only 'shipper here? I can't help it, they're so freakin' cute! And yes, Mike Rowe is awesome. I could probably listen to him read the dictionary and find it fascinating. Great to hear from you Dakota!

@Heather - I understand not having cable. For awhile I did without it, but now that everything is digital, I have to have cable whether I like it or not. My MIL is getting me into Elementary, and reintroducing me to Castle! Great to hear from you!

@Shelley Munro - I've heard of Ripper Street, but I haven't had the chance to watch it. I think it might be on BBC America, but that's up for debate. So many shows, so little time. Maybe on Netflix... Anyway, thanks for dropping by!